The Ramos Fizz: Tips & Tricks
Welcome to Part 2 of our foray into the Ramos Gin Fizz. The Ramos Fizz is not just a notoriously laborious cocktail, it is also a notoriously difficult one to get right. For such a seemingly innocuous set of ingredients, there is a ton of bartending technique that goes into it. I'm going to use this opportunity to share some do's and don’ts with the Ramos, as well as egg white drinks in general. Did you miss Part 1? No worries, accress it here.
Here Are Some Tricks To Getting A Nice, Thick Egg White Foam With The Least Amount Of Shaking
- Have everything ready to go before you start shaking. Have your glass, garnish, etc. all ready and next to you. You want to immediately pour the cocktail after shaking.
- Citrus juice, alcohol, cream, and sugar will all help to emulsify an egg white foam.
- Always do a "double shake." Shake the ingredients first without ice, and then again with ice. The egg will begin to whip much easier closer to room temperature.
- Replace simple syrup with gum syrup. The gum Arabic in gum syrup does an incredible job at thickening and stabilizing an egg white foam. This also cuts down on shake time, saving your arms. At least 0.25 oz gum goes in every one of my egg white drinks. Try one of these gum syrups from Small Hands Foods or Liber & Co.
Here Are Some Tips Specifically For The Ramos Fizz
- Make sure you hold on to the top and bottom of the shaker firmly. The combination of heavy cream and egg white in this drink make for a lot of expansion in a short time. Expansion in a confined space results in a rapid increase in pressure, and I have seen the top of a shaker get launched across a bar with so much force that they had to scrub Ramos Fizz off the ceiling that night.
- Do not substitute cream for low fat milk. The fat in the cream helps stop the alcohol and citrus juice from curdling the dairy.
- Mix up the direction of your shake several times during the course of shaking. This will increase agitation and the overall stability of the foam.
- Some bartenders say to add the soda to the glass and top with the cocktail. Others say to pour the cocktail in the glass and top with soda. The former method leads to a uniform texture from top to bottom of the glass. The latter will cause a distinct break between foam and drink. *see the photo for an example*
Troubleshooting Common Issues
- Foam easily breaks: Did not shake long enough
- Top of the shaker sticks: Run only the top of the shaker under hot water until it loosens.
- Watery cocktail: Didn't add enough ice to the shaker before shaking.
I hope these tips help, and will take away some of the apprehensions surrounding egg white cocktails. Check back tomorrow for a few of my favorite twists on the Ramos!
Your ever humble, tricky mixologist,
*Napa Valley Distillery always recommends drinking responsibly.
**Napa Valley Distillery suggests using caution when consuming raw eggs due to the slight risk of food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend that you use only fresh, properly refrigerated, clean grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.
essay writing services
write my essay reviews
We give you PROOF of our SERVICES we have offered to other Individuals. All our Hackers belong to the Hackers Forum HackerOne and are Top of the HackerOne's Hackers List. Our aim is to Help and not for the Purpose of Theft, for instance, A Man/Woman who suspects His/Her Wife/Husband of cheating and intends to monitor Her/His Calls📱, Email📧, Social media accounts💌, We do the Hack to Certify your Doubts. Another way we help is by Funding PayPal Accounts💵💶💷 for Individuals with Debts and Financial Problems. We also Provide Recovery Services for Individuals Who Lost Money in Bitcoin💰 Auctioning or In Forex Trading📉 and other online Stock Markets Exchange📊. Other Services we offer are-: Changing of Grades/Results in Universities 📚 Database, Upgrading System Security Defense☣️, and lost More. If you need Hacking Services contact us via our Email-: firstname.lastname@example.org